Beautiful: Giving is beautiful. I was a freshman in college when I can honestly say that I finally understood the true meaning of giving after a group of us volunteered at a children's crisis nursery. I know. I know. It seems a little old to finally arrive at the true meaning of Christmas. But, that's not quite what I mean. I mean giving in the sense that you are willing to lend yourself to others without expectation or assumption that you will get anything in return. It's on your own merit. Not because someone told you that it was the right thing to do or because it makes you feel good about yourself. You do it because it makes someone else feel good at a time of need. It's the realization, that you, as an adult, can help make a difference. Some people arrive at this beautiful moment early and some people arrive late. In my opinion, all that matters is you get there.
Gorgeous: Doesn't it seem like there is always a gorgeous glow on people's faces after they've helped? I would even say they are beaming! I saw it first hand on Saturday as a group of us gathered together at a family crisis center for Help-Portrait. It's a global movement of photographers, makeup artists, and volunteers that join together to take family portraits of those in need during the Holidays. It's a way of giving a family something they may have never had before--a portrait together!
Makeup: Here are some of my favorite gifts that give back this Holiday season. Beauty with heart!
1. Kiehl's Creme de Corps Limited Edition (16.9 oz.)...$48. Details: This hydrating body moisturizer has been a favorite for four decades! This year pop-surrealist artist, Kenny Scharf, has partnered with Kiehl's and you can see his artwork on the label. 100% of the net profits of this limited edition moisturizer will go to RxArt. A non-profit that fosters artistic expression and awareness for young patients in pediatric hospitals. (kiehls.com)
2. MAC Viva Glam Lipstick in Nicki (Minaj)...$15. Details: Since 1994 MAC has introduced a Viva Glam lipstick (6 total) and they continue to do a limited edition color like Nicki (see above). Every dollar from the sales of Viva Glam Lipstick goes to the MAC AIDS Fund to support men, women, and children living with HIV and AIDS. (maccosmetics.com)
3. Lush Charity Pot...$22.95. Details: I love this cocoa butter & almond oil body lotion that hyrdrates dry skin especially during the winter. Every penny (excluding tax) goes to fund and support grassroots charities all around the world! (lushusa.com)
4. Clarins Feed 10 Kit...$40. Details: Clarins is one of my favorite skincare lines and this is a great way to sample their best products! This kit comes with Beauty Flash Balm, UV Plus HP SPF 40 (my favorite!), Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector in Rose, and red Feed pouch. The sale of each Feed 10 Pouch will provide 10 nutritious school meals through the Untied Nations World Food Programme. (sephora.com)
5. philosophy green fresh pear shampoo, shower gel & bubble bath...$20. Details: Smells so good! I love this 3-in-1 shower gel. Gently moisturizes, conditions, and cleanses. 100% of the net proceeds go to the rainforest foundation! (philosophy.com)
6. When It Rains Christmas Be Merry Garland...$18. (etsy.com)
Do something lovely: Next year's Help-Portrait worldwide event is scheduled on December 7, 2013. Please consider doing something lovely and helping in any way you can. Even if you're not a photographer or makeup artist, you can donate much needed supplies!
Special thanks to the lovely Stacey Woodward of Dream Photography Studio for coordinating the Phoenix Help-Portrait event. It was so great of you to bring us all together for this amazing day! Looking forward to next year!